Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A few notes on my move

This is not the worst move of my life, not even close (that honor belongs to the debacle of June 30-July 1 2005, a truly hellish experience [for someone sheltered like me--it was the worst experience of my life for lots of reasons but I realize that there are people all over the world who have it much much worse than I do] which is a separate story in itself perhaps I'll tell another time, but I do try to move forward without looking back), but today was a fairly trying day.

About three weeks ago CGF (Current Girl Friend) made arrangements to have parking blocked off on our street directly outside our apartment building for tomorrow, creating a 12-hour tow-away zone. So far so good, right? Thinking ahead and all that (again, this is waaay better than what happened in 05-- uh I mean I'm looking FORWARD for crying out loud) but we get back from the storage place this morning and someone who has parked in our spot has had a boot put on his car. So he can't move it, and it's in the spot we've blocked off for the moving van.

So I spent a few hours dealing with the city, getting transferred from one parking enforcement division to another. At one point the woman I spoke to took all my information, including some information about the car that had just been booted, and promised to call me back. When I didn't hear from her, I called back the same number and spoke to someone else who told me no, I didn't have the right department, and I got another number for a department I'd called three hours before, who had referred me to the department I was then on the phone with.

All along I was packing and etc, worried about the booted car that was blocking our spot, and I did think (I couldn't help it), "This is still so much better than June 30-July 1 [and uh July 27 for that matter] 2005 that I can't get too worked up about this. At least we're TRYING, the two of us, to do the move right. There's nothing else we can do."

So after the third try calling the habitual parking violations department to see if the booted car would be removed from the spot in time for our truck to park, I decided to walk downstairs and check the damn car, and lo and behold the boot is gone.

And now it's 11 pm and the car is gone, too.

SO much better than 2005.

Oh and the TiVo was sick for awhile today, causing the tv picture to roll and change to strange colors. I thought it was a problem with the tv, and was prepared to abandon that thing and get a new one on the other side of the move. But eventually my giant brain figured it out and now I have to pack the damn tv.

No comments: