Wednesday, January 9, 2008

More damaging quotes from Ron Paul newsletters:

By now we’re all aware of the devastating New Republic Article detailing the more appalling opinions expressed in Ron Paul’s newsletters published in the 1980s-90s. But perhaps you didn’t know that the author of that article left out some even more, some might argue worse quotes, from a fifth publication entitled THE APAULING NEWSLETTER? And did you know that I got my hands on some copies that were in the Provincialtown, Iowa Public Library? Well I did, and here are some quotes pulled from therein:

Summer 1992: The Bridges of Madison County is a great book, I just hope that when Hollywood gets there [sic] hands on it, they don’t cast a black person as Kincaid.

Winter 1992: Bird poop is a natural aphrodisiac.

Spring 1991: Ringo is the best Beatle.

Winter 1990: [W]hy do you think that VHS won over Beta? It was the Jews.

April 1990: The only poet who ever really moved me, emotionally, was Rod McKuen.

Summer 1989: …The real lesson of “Different [sic] Strokes” is that if we can just get a rich white man to adopt black kids, the world will be a better place.

Autumn 1989: Did you catch “Garfield” the other day? That cat is hilarious!

Summer 1990: Two words: Vanilla Ice. Finally, a rapper I can listen to!

Winter 1990: I propose putting Bible quotes on the sides of cigarette packs, to replace Surgeon General’s warnings. That way the children who smoke will get a little Bible education.

Clearly there is more to this story than meets the eye and, while I have no doubt that Dr Paul didn’t actually write these despicable things himself, or maybe he did how the hell would I know, he did lend his name to the newsletters, which shows at the very least spectacularly bad judgment, and I now believe that his chances of being elected president have gone from 0% to a tiny, microscopic dot.

No comments: