Monday, March 24, 2008

Kiss 4K French Hardcover collection released

Some time in the past, I believe it was in January, there was a hardcover collection of the first 4 issues of Kiss 4K published in French. Since all I did was script these issues and write the outline/story for the first 12, I of course didn't rate any free copies, so I had to get them from amazon.fr. And with the dollar being so weak against the euro, I got hammered on it.

Anyway, it is truly a milestone in the history of translation. I only have a little bit of French, so I can't say for sure just how true they were to my original words. (Most of the French I know is from the song "Lady Marmalade," and that usually gets me into trouble.)

"L'Album" is slightly too large for me to scan in piece, and I am too lazy and unmotivated to scan in pieces and put them together in photoshop like I did with my French interview, so I just took a few photos, so you don't have to drop all those euros on it yourself. Here they are:



Sorry this cover photo is a bit blurry, but as I wrote above I am unmotivated to do any better with this.



This was always one of my favorite pages- it was page 1 of the second issue of the original series. The members of Kiss have blood drawn for what they believe is an innocent publicity stunt to sell copies of their first comic book in 1977. In fact, the evil Destroyer Cult has intercepted the blood for its own nefarious purposes. Sorry it's a little blurry, too. Looks like an eBay picture. Anyway, Mr Kev Crossley did a bang up job with this and every page he drew.



Here's another fun couple of pages, featuring the "tribute band," composed of the poor deludedly evil members of the Destroyer Cult. Here the leader of the Cult, Alick, explains his plans, for the benefit of the reader. Dan Campos drew these pages, and he also did a really fantastic job with this material.



Here She, Alick's sister, has gone to the Marvel Comics version of the Kiss characters. Right off the bat, She goes "Santa Sangre" on the Space Ace. I had a lot of fun writing these scenes in a "Bronze Age" style (I wonder how that stuff translated?), and I think the result was funny and sickening. Bob Hall drew the pages also in a Bronze Age style, and I have to say he very much ennobled them.



And here the Cat gets it, Ace and Starchild bite it. Nice stuff, also drawn by Mr Bob Hall.

Seeing these pages in French makes me realize that I could have been the next Arthur Rimbaud, except for all of the gay sex. Not that I have anything against gay sex, if that's what you're into, it's just that I'm not. I mean, I could have been a French poet or something.

No comments: