Thursday, February 12, 2009

It's Darwin Day!



I'd like to thank my friends at Living Waters/Way of the Master for sending me an email reminder that today is Darwin Day, the "global celebration of science and reason" (two of my favorite things in the world)!

For my part of the celebration, I'd like to take a look at Pastor Ray Comfort's ironically-titled book, advertised in the above email, You Can Lead an Atheist to Evidence, But You Can't Make Him Think. I'm not dropping the 15 bones to buy the book from Amazon, but I am willing to "Look Inside!" through Amazon's good graces. Here's the first paragraph:



"[A]n atheist owes his existence to random chance, over millions or billions of years, of course."

Beautiful! Can you think of anything more miraculous than that? You, the person reading this blog entry, me, the person writing it, and all the billions of people who have ever existed, who exist now, and who will exist in the future, are the amazing, humbling, absolutely mind-bendingly wonderful result of random chance, over millions or billions of years! Thank you, Pastor Ray Comfort, for putting it in such amazing terms.

Still, he can't match Ann Druyan's beautiful words regarding her relationship with her late husband, the great Carl Sagan:

Every single moment that we were alive and we were together was miraculous-not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural. We knew we were beneficiaries of chance. . . . That pure chance could be so generous and so kind. . . . That we could find each other, as Carl wrote so beautifully in Cosmos, you know, in the vastness of space and the immensity of time. . . . That we could be together for twenty years. That is something which sustains me and it's much more meaningful. . . . The way he treated me and the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other and our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don't think I'll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.


Wow.

Happy Darwin Day.

No comments: