Thursday, March 26, 2009

RE: John McEnroe Duped in Art Scam

Yahoo has the story of John McEnroe, Bank of America, and others being duped in an $88 Million art scam in New York.

Art dealer Lawrence Salander, 59, was arrested at his New York home on Thursday, when he and his gallery were charged with 100 counts, including grand larceny and securities fraud, Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau told a news conference.


I managed to get my hands on one of the pieces of "art" that this Lawrence Salander was allegedly representing- something called "Gaugan's Tree Frienbs":



While I sympathize with the fact that most people are not the Gaugan expert that I am, I find it difficult to believe that anyone would fall for this. For one thing, "Gaugan" was actually spelled "Gauguin," not "Gaugan." Anyone with internet access could have figured that out within a few minutes. For another, "friends" is spelled "friends," not "frienbs."

To be honest, this picture looks like it was either created by someone with diminished mental capacity, or a small child, or perhaps a small child with diminished mental capacity. The fact that $1.7 Million was charged for this leads me to believe that I am in the wrong business.

Anyway, of course my heart goes out to the victims.

No comments: