Friday, April 17, 2009

The Inefficient Coefficient

I do some of my best thinking in my sleep. For instance, it was while dreaming that I first hit upon the idea to dip pizza rolls in ketchup. That was a good flavor, although I must say that I grew out of it pretty quickly. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a great idea; it just wasn't a great idea for me.

Last night I had another great idea:

E1 = E0(1 + αS(M1 − T0))

I'm calling my great idea "the inefficient coefficient." And I'm officially copyrighting it and trademarking etc right now. But in the interests of helping the world, which is what I am trying to do all the time, I would like to explain how it works.

The idea is that being inefficient is actually a form of efficiency. The inefficiency slows everything down enough that you can catch your mistakes (they won't sneak up on you quickly) and correct them, therefore making you more efficient. Efficiency equals efficiency, with mistakes subtracted by time, where S is the total multiplier.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure about the equation yet. This is a work in progress and, remember, I had the idea while I was asleep. These things take time to properly flesh out.

For examples of the Inefficient Coefficient in action, one need only visit the DMV, or the Post Office. Everything moves at a slow, seemingly inefficient pace. But mistakes are kept to a minimum (how many times have you gotten a driver's license with someone else's photo on it? I didn't think so). Whereas, very often a new vehicle reaches the market with faulty brakes, because they rushed to get it out.

In that case, the Inefficient Coefficient would have been beneficial.

Anyway, I'm sure you can think of plenty of examples of my great new Inefficient Coefficient theory in action. Those of you who work in an office can probably cite multiple examples on a daily basis.


Once the TSA becomes more efficient, it will be a great example of the Inefficient Coefficient in action.

TSA pic source.

No comments: