Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's Not A Mistake- It's a "Knowing Casualism"

A person called James Fallows, writing something on an Atlantic blog:

He [Barack Obama] also appeared to refer to the language of Austria as "Austrian," thus: "I don't know how you say it in Austrian, but we call it wheeling-dealing." If this had been GW Bush, it would have been taken as an obvious gaffe, as in his calling the residents of Greece "Grecians." Here you can't be sure whether it's a plain error or a knowing casualism, as in saying that Australians speak "Australian" -- eg, in the ad that says, "Foster's: Australian for 'beer.'"


As someone who uses knowing casualisms every day on this blog ("I am awesome"), and in my interactions with others ("I love you"), I would like to thank Mr Fallows, if in fact that is the idle fellow's real name, for giving me the correct term. He is a brilliant man.*

*Yes, that is another knowing casualism.

(And by the way, in case you were wondering: the language spoken in Austria is called Austrovox.)

No comments: