Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nothing Says "Happy Father's Day" Like "Nekromantik"

I was searching for Eddi Reader mp3 downloads at amazon.com (she had a new collection released a couple of months ago), and I accidentally spelled her name "Eddi Reeder," and I for some reason got this result:



Naturally, I was intrigued. I don't think I'd ever heard of "Nekromantik 2," so I wanted to see what the original film, "Nekromantik," was all about. Here's what came up when I did the amazon search:



I realize that "Nekromantik" probably isn't part of the "Father's Day Sale," and that the notice probably pops up every time you search for a dvd, but that still struck me as pretty funny. I want to meet the guy who's looking up "Nekromantik" on amazon, sees that Father's Day Sale notice, and says, "Oh yeah that's right- I need to get something for dad!"

Actually, scratch that, I probably don't want to meet that guy.

By the way, here's a little from the wikipedia entry on "Nekromantik." It looks like as charming a film about necrophilia as has ever been created, at least by a German:

He then returns to work and discovers his new obsession; a whole rotting corpse. It is discovered in a pond and during the removal process Rob absconds with it. He excitedly returns home to Betty like a husband returning with a romantic gift for his awaiting wife.


That's the least distasteful part of the synopsis, which is kind of hilarious I guess, in a "just-how-disgusting-can-we-make-this" kind of way, but somehow I don't think I'm missing anything by not watching it, despite the fact that "some believe that it is meant as a rather serious social commentary the denaturalization and dehumanization of contemporary society as a whole. [sic]"

But I wonder if my dad might like it?

No comments: