Thursday, September 3, 2009

Misleading Article Title-" Japan's New First Lady Claims to Have Been Abducted by Aliens"

One of them had a dream. A very strange dream.

I guess I should pay closer attention to international politics.

Apparently, in the country of Japan, there was recently an election, and a new Prime Minister was elected. His name is Yukio Hatoyama. This man has a wife, whose name is Miyuki Hatoyama. She has apparently had an interesting life, some of which is detailed in her fantastically-titled book Very Strange Things I've Encountered.

These are not just strange things. These are very strange things. Presumably, she left the "only a little bit strange" things out.

According to this article in the Independent, one of those "only a little bit strange" things she's encountered was the actor Tom Cruise.

The 62-year-old also knew Tom Cruise in a former incarnation – when he was Japanese – and is now looking forward to making a Hollywood movie with him. "I believe he'd get it if I said to him, 'Long time no see', when we meet," she said in a recent interview.

This revelation is apparently not made in her book Very Strange Etc. Perhaps that doesn't make the "very strange" cut because Tom Cruise a Scientologist, and the idea of reincarnation isn't very strange for someone like him.

However, one of those very strange things is alien abduction- at least, according to the title of the Independent's article.

"While my body was asleep, I think my soul rode on a triangular-shaped UFO and went to Venus," she explains in the tome she published last year. "It was a very beautiful place, and it was very green."
Despite the title of the Independent article, "I have been abducted by aliens, says Japan's first lady," Japan's first lady does not seem to claim to have been abducted by aliens. Abduction implies her body was lifted out of the room and she was taken against her will. In the quote from the book, she merely states that she thinks her soul rode to Venus. She apparently had a great time.

Big deal. Where was the experimentation? Where was the probing? You can't stick a probe in a soul.

I have to say, that doesn't sound so very strange to me. In fact, that's kind of pedestrian. Alien abduction stories have a rich kooky history, full of very strange aspects.

It sounds like she had a dream, which is apparently what her then-husband told her when she related it to him.

When the new Japanese first lady related her adventures to her then husband, he told her flatteningly that it was probably just a dream.

I do like the use of the word "flatteningly" in that sentence. I don't know if I've ever seen that word before, but it makes it sound like her former husband mercilessly crushed her spirit into the ground when he told her, "Those images you experienced while you slept were probably just a dream."

Oh, the cruelty of the unbelievers! How truly flattening they can be, when presented with something that's very strange!

But she is confident that Yukio, the man now entrusted with the task of hauling Japan out of its deepest recession, would have reacted very differently. "My current husband has a different way of thinking. He would surely say, 'Oh, that's great'," she wrote.

But, how would he say "Oh, that's great"? What would be his tone? Because I have to say, that sounds a bit condescending to me.

"Last night while I slept, I had visions of my soul traveling to Venus!"

"Oh, that's great," Yukio said, flatteningly.

That doesn't sound too much better. That's what you say to someone when you're not even paying attention to their very strange nonsense. When you don't even take your eyes off the television screen.

Pic source.

4 comments:

A.Jaye said...

Did the Japanese electorate know about this woman before the poll?

shampoo said...

I think reincarnation is not that crazy of an idea to the japanese. but I could be wrong.

as far as her dream of venus goes, well I suppose people can dream anything? although I get that she thinks it was of more significance than her husbands did/do.
"flatteningly" just makes no sense. I guess her first husband's dreams mostly concerned this planet? come to think of it, so do mine. but that's just great if she dreamed about a forest on venus (no sarcasm, it sounds like a nice dream).

Ricky Sprague said...

"Flatteningly" might make no sense, but I like it very much. I've already worked it into several conversations today. "Stop being so flattening," I said to someone who didn't show me proper deference. To someone else I said, "I shouldn't eat another piece of celery- it's too flattening." There I changed it up a little- I was using it as an antonym of "fattening." I figure I can use it however I want, since as you point out it makes no sense.

AJaye- are you concerned that the Japanese voters behaved flatteningly at the polls?

shampoo said...

ricky sprague, haha that's flatteningly awesome!

I just remembered the planet venus is associated with gold in japan.