Sunday, October 18, 2009

"Balloon Boy" Poem

Like many people around the world, I have been captivated by the story of the Balloon Boy. Unlike many people around the world, I wasted some time writing what is arguably a quite beautiful poem about it. I hope you enjoy.

Lament for Balloon Boy

The long chase in a wheatfield ended
Amidst gasps and cries of fright--
Balloon Boy must have been upended
During that terrible flight!

For hours was watched the foil balloon,
So scarily buffeted and pasted
By winds from mouths of teevee buffoons;
The boy’s death hotly anticipated.

Balloon Boy was all along in the attic,
And the adventure nothing more than a trick!

The pronouncements and speculation
Now give way to accusations of blame
By a betrayed-feeling nation,
That now will truly never be the same.

We’re no longer innocent, thanks to this ruse,
And know not to trust the cable teevee news!

Still, let's attack the storm-chasing father
With his reality television aspirations--
And then, yes, the mother we should bother
Thinking herself the result of alien relations.

The ordeal is over, yet someone must fall
For "wasting our time," making fools of us all!

After a long day of vomitous interviews
In which was made one cryptic remark,
Now the humiliated sheriff can accuse
Of motives both criminal and dark.

“You said that we did this for the show,” he said;
And everyone knew they had all been misled!

Contributing to a minor’s delinquency,
And conspiracy, are the indictments;
We hope Balloon Boy shows more buoyancy
Than the foil that started the excitement.



Pic source.

4 comments:

kerrieaubrea. said...

This is quite an exquisite piece of work. You may have inspired me to construct a haiku of my own.

If I can manage to leave eonline.com long enough...

Ricky Sprague said...

I am completely fascinated by the Balloon Boy story. There are so many bad characters- the parents with their reality show aspirations, the incompetent sheriff, the boy himself who just couldn't keep from blabbing.

Ricky Sprague said...

Oh, and the cable news organizations, who pursued a ridiculous story without thinking.

shampoo said...

I didn't see ANY of this. but I avoid the news actors, they're such drama-mongering, bloodthirsty, famewhores who've gotten so used to not researching anything and airing non-stories they've rendered their reports practically useless.

I might as well just stick my head out the door and holler "what's happening?" at the neighbors. at least they wouldn't lie to me and if there WAS something to be afraid about, they'd try to help me (i know my neighbors).