Sunday, October 18, 2009

Some Independent Verification of My Achievements

On October 14, I received an email from Princeton Premier informing me that the Astoria, NY company was considering me "for inclusion into the 2009-2010 Princeton Premier Business Leaders and Professionals Honors Edition section of the registry."

The email went on to say "[t]he 2009-2010 edition of the registry will include biographies of the world's most accomplished individuals. Recognition of this kind is an honor shared by thousands of executives and professionals throughout the world each year. Inclusion is considered by many as the single highest mark of achievement."

Well, sign me up, right? Maybe not.

If you do manage to get past the impressive array of services on offer, you will find a "terms of agreement" link that tells you all you need to know about whether you should pay any money for a Princeton Premier biography:

"Our cancellation policy states there is a non-refundable 20% processing fee which will be automatically retained on any cancellation that occurs within 24 hours of any sale. All program sales after 48 hours are final and no refunds will be issued for our service and all accompanying personalized products." So if a profile costs $100, you're still going to get stuck for $20 even if you get a case of buyer's remorse. We couldn't find a price list, though.

So it's not quite totally legitimate. My ego was bruised, but not broken by any means. I got on with my life until yesterday, when I received another email-- this one from Strathmore's Who's Who. Their email told me,

It is my pleasure to inform you that on September 10th, 2009 your information was reviewed and accepted for inclusion in the 2009/2010 edition of our registry.

Strathmore's Whos Who each year, recognizes and selects key executives, professionals and organizations in all disciplines and industries for outstanding business and professional achievements.

This recognition is shared by those who have reached a distinguished level of success in their chosen profession.

Now, maybe it was the fact that a mere two days before I received an email-- that turned out to be spam-- from another company offering much the same thing, or maybe it was the fact that they told me I was being recognized for "outstanding business and professional achievements," but right away I figured this one was a scam, too.

But just to be sure, I googled them. Because, well, there was always a chance that they were legitimate-- right?

Nope.

How stupid do they think we are? The company "Salesman" and yes that is exactly what he is, a salesman, tried to tell me that they are so busy that I couldn't do my due dilligence first and then call back. It was a now or never hard close, and I could tell it was a scam. Any legit registry of who's who wouldn't charge you to be on it, nor would they tell you that you can't think it over and call them back. Wow! talk about "boiler room" sales. Don't even think about entering your information from an email link. That is just asking for trouble. Also, never, ever, ever, think that you have to buy now or forget it. Total scam.

So, just what are my "achievements"? Not much, apparently. The only people who are interested in recognizing them are email scammers trying to trick me into sending them money.

Jerks!

No comments: