Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter is the Time for Coming Out

Easter is the time when Christians celebrate Jesus Christ's coming out of the tomb, and rising from the dead after being crucified. He announced this "coming out" to everyone he could find:
On Easter morning some women and apostles went to Jesus' tomb, expecting to find his body. But the tomb was empty, and the angel at the tomb told them, "He is not here; he has risen!" Later they saw their risen Lord face to face. The gospels record these events, but the earliest written report concerning the resurrection of Jesus Christ was written by St. Paul within twenty-five years of Christ's death in 1 Corinthians 15:3-8: "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep." Later St. Luke the historian wrote in his introduction to the book of Acts, "After [Jesus'] suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God" (Acts 1:3).
And now it is Easter season, and another man in his 30s is "coming out" to the world, after being sought-after by a number of women. That man is former Menudo member Ricky Martin (one of my favorite Rickys).
I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.
The entire statement, linked above, is actually quite well-written and moving.

Is it all that surprising? Is it, as the website Popeater suggests, a "bombshell" revelation? Probably not, because, as that Popeater article points out, the terrible Barbara Walters did her level best to out the poor man back in 2000:
Earlier this month, Barbara Walters revealed she regretted trying to force Martin to open up about his sexuality in a 2000 interview, saying that her questioning may have ended his career. "In 2000, I pushed Ricky Martin very hard to admit if he was gay or not, and the way he refused to do it made everyone decide that he was," she told The Toronto Star. "A lot of people say that destroyed his career, and when I think back on it now, I feel it was an inappropriate question."
If that vampiric creature asked me about my sexuality, I would equivocate as well. Actually, if she asked me any question I would run screaming in the opposite direction -- I am pretty sure that she feeds on the tender flesh of young, good-looking men such as myself.

Anyway, I don't know anyone, with an opinion on the subject, who didn't think that Mr. Martin was gay. Not that it matters, really. I am still unsure as to why it is that so many people are interested in the romantic desires of other people.

Oh, yeah. The Bible probably has something to do with it. Which is something to think about during this season of "coming out."

Something else to think about, if you're looking for some Easter music this year: you could do a lot worse than Mr. Martin's catchiest song, "Livin' La Vida Loca":

1 comment:

shampoo said...

barbara walters needs to come out and admit she's a... ghoul? zombie? harpy? i'm not sure what she is?

happy easter