Saturday, March 6, 2010

Yahoo is very concerned about the Pussycat Dolls

On its main page today, Yahoo gave prominence to a story about the musical organization called the Pussycat Dolls:

 

You will note that this was story 1 of 28. It even came in ahead of a coach's comic sideline dance, and Kate Gosselin's new look for "Dancing with the Stars" (by the way -- she's one of the stars).

Someone at yahoo is very concerned about Kimberly Wyatt and Ashley Roberts quitting the group. This is a perk of working for yahoo's main page, I guess. If I worked there it would be all about Joan Armatrading's new CD to be released this month.

My point is that we all have our priorities.

I'm not opposed to the Pussycat Dolls. I actually think the song "Don'tcha" is kind of clever, in the way the singer uses the typical male curiosity about being with another woman to tease him, while at the same time acknowledging that she wants him, too.

And I'm not exactly a purist about music. I like what I like, and a lot of that has to do with when I was born and how I was brought up. I very much admire Joan Armatrading, Warren Zevon, Steely Dan, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Kirsty MacColl, Robbie Fulks, Richard Thompson, and a bunch of other people that no one under 30 has ever heard of. But I don't mind the idea of PCD, of a musical organization being created purely to sell music as a product. If people want that shit, that's their business.

I just couldn't care less about the group itself. I don't even know who the famous one is, the one who's going to be on "Dancing with the Stars" this season. So why does an inconsequential lineup change for a group that apparently hasn't had a hit since maybe 2006 make it to such a spot of prominence on yahoo's main page?

Seriously, who are these fans who are so worried about PCD's future? They don't write their own music-- if PCD goes away, another musical organization will get the songs. The music won't die with them. And the next group of young, attractive women prancing around in their underwear and stockings might even be better.

4 comments:

shampoo said...

i am concerned about all of the "news" organizations that are telling me possum-head is going to be on dwts. there are such illuminaries as buzz aldrin, nicey nash and pam anderson (and erin andrews) going to be on dwts. the one from pcd is nicole scherzinger or something. but, i only learned her name due a blind on cdan. haha

A.Jaye said...

I prefer the Spice Girls.

shampoo said...

a.jaye, mel b from the spice girls was on dwts. she did really well.

Ricky Sprague said...

I also prefer the Spice Girls to the Pussycat Dolls, but that might have something to do with my age.

Will this Nicole woman do better than Mel B? I guess we'll find out.