Monday, April 19, 2010

Dear Genevieve Gorder, What the Hell Have you Done to Yourself? UPDATE: HGTV FORCED GENEVIEVE GORDER TO WEAR HAIR EXTENSIONS FOR THE SHOW!

Way back in the early aughts for whatever reason I fell in love with a television show called "Trading Spaces," in which two sets of neighbors would redecorate one room in each others' homes. The premise (taken from a British show called "Changing Rooms") was fun in itself, but it had other virtues. Almost unbearably perky host Paige Davis was one of those. I suppose I had a bit of a crush on her, but my favorite episodes were those in which Genevieve Gorder would appear as one of the designers that would "help" the couples.

She was nearly as perky as Ms. Davis, but she was much more voluptuous. Plus, she would occasionally wear a thong, and when she bent over to lay the carpet or stroke the paint brush, the thong would peek over the top of her jeans and everything just seemed so right with the world.



Genevieve Gorder potting some plants on Trading Spaces She was a fun designer to watch.

Today, Ms. Gorder is the host of a new program on HGTV called "Battle on the Block." The basic premise is that three neighbors have three days to redesign one room in their own home. They're given something like $10,000 for merchandise and then another $5,000 on top of that, and the use of contractors who work eight-hour days. At the end of it all, the rooms are judged by an "impartial" group of realtors or other "experts," and the couple that's declared the winner gets $10,000.

The show is flawed from the premise, because if I get $15,000 just for showing up, I'm going to drop maybe $1,000 on some lawn furniture at ikea and spend the rest on comic books. While the other couples are spending their time redoing the grout or whatever the hell it is that they do in home "renos," my idea of "home improvement" is to watch a couple of HGTV shows and call it a night. I'm pretty lazy and I suspect I'm not alone in this. That $10,000 prize isn't much incentive when you've already won $15,000.

But even worse than that is Ms. Gorder. What a shock to see her now, as opposed to then. And no, it's not just that she's older. Whoever is doing her hair, makeup, and wardrobe hates her. With her hair teased up and bleached, her tight pants and knee-high boots and her tight black shirts she looks like a heroin-addicted groupie from 1984, who slept with the bass player the night before, forgot she had a show to film that day and rolled out of bed, had a breakfast of coffee and barbiturates, and headed straight to the filming site.

Really terrible. My memories of her are ruined.

Interestingly, I think someone at HGTV recognizes that she looks terrible, because I just did a google search to try to find some pics of her on the show today and I couldn't. All I could find was the official HGTV promotional pic:


She looks pretty good here. This picture was probably taken three years ago. She looks far less healthy now; thinner, with more wiry, sallow hair that looks as if it's been sprayed with some kind of industrial chemical to keep it in place and teased too high, and terrible mismatched clothes.

HGTV, if you know she looks terrible, why are you allowing her to appear on television like that? Wouldn't it be much easier to have her change her wardrobe than to scrub the internet of any photos of her now?

UPDATE 5/9/2010 @7:15 AM PST:

Per "Anonymous" in the comments, I was alerted to Ms. Gorder's facebook page, which displays this photograph, of a shorter-haired Genevieve:


This photo was added November 11, 2009. According to this article on the HGTV website, the show was filming in December 2009.
Do you have a knack for home design? Is there no one on your street that can match your curb appeal? Are you ready, willing and able to compete against your neighbors to see which family on your block can outshine and out-design the other? If so, we're looking for you and your neighbors to compete in the ultimate home design renovation showdown on HGTV's news series, Battle On The Block.

We're looking for families living in the New York City Tri-State area or Florida who are available for filming starting in December 2009.
This means that when filming started, Ms. Gorder had the short, perky, "cute" haircut. Clearly, HGTV forced her to wear hair extensions! And bad ones, at that.

But why?

I have a theory about this, and it's pure speculation but that's what a blog is for. First of all, check out a photo of the very cute and perky host of Ms. Gorder's previous television show, "Trading Spaces"-- Paige Davis:


Notice anything? I mean besides the fact that she's cute and perky and you just want to smother her in kisses?

That's right-- she's got short hair.

As I've previously noted (above), "Battle on the Block" shares a lot in common with "Trading Spaces." There is the element of design, of competition, of hard work over night to transform one room in each family's space. And then there's the presence of Ms. Gorder.

Ms. Gorder, of the long blond hair. It was Ms. Davis who had the short hair.

HGTV is ruining Genevieve Gorder's life and reputation and making her physically unattractive all to ensure that she's not mistaken for Paige Davis her former co-star on another television show with a remarkable similar premise!

To that I say: Grow up, HGTV! Leave Ms. Gorder's hair alone!



Creepy Genevieve Gorder cleavage pics source (probably NSFW).
"Current" Genevieve Gorder pic source.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I just googled "What is wrong with geneviev gorder's hair?" and found your blog. They have turned a beautfiul women into something scary. What are they thinking?

Anonymous said...

haahaahaaa i googled the same thing and here I am! Her hair is driving me nuts, is it a wig? a bad extension job? or is it on purpose? I don't know but it's terrible!

Sue in Florida said...

Well, add me to the list. I googled "Genevieve Gorders Hair" and here I am. How sad is it that we don't have anything better to do?! I kept rewinding my dvr trying to figure it out. Here's my theory...I think she got a major haircut, like she wanted to go short. But then she hated it & had extensions put in until it grows out? I don't know, poor thing, she's a pretty girl but her hair is hideous right now. I certainely hope she didn't lose it because of chemo & now she's wearing a wig...won't we all feel bad!

Ricky Sprague said...

I actually get a lot of visitors to the blog because of Ms. Gorder's hair. And a lot of those are looking for information about possible cancer, or chemo treatments. This is apparently a persistent rumor, although there seems to be no evidence that she is suffering from that.

I do have to say that Ms. Gorder's hair looked better in the most recent "Battle on the Block" episode. So maybe her hair is growing out again?

And by the way, it's not sad that we don't have anything better to do-- it just shows how affluent we really are.

Thanks for visiting!

Nicole said...

Yeah, I got here by googling "Genevieve Gorder Hair." What is going on there? How can people take her seriously when she's walking around with the Mullet that ate Manhattan??? I'd never seen the Trading Spaces episodes with her in it, and this new show of hers is my only exposure to her. Is she trying to torpedo this program? Because my boyfriend and I changed the channel so as not to see her awful hair again.

Jen said...

I was debating whether to google "hair" or "mullet". I love Genevieve's persona and wish I could stop looking at her hair and just enjoy the show. Please either trim the party in the back or grow out the business in the front.

Anonymous said...

My God!!!! I've been dying to know what the hell is going on with her hair for weeks!!!! On her show "Dear Geneive" it looks fine but on her other show...it's freaking scaring! She needs to drop the fake mop and go short!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I can't beleive I googled and found this, her hair looks bad, like it's short with extensions...then I saw her facebook...check out the picture, her hair IS short, HGTV must be making her wear the BAD hair for the show. They should be ashamed!

Anonymous said...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genevieve-Gorder/174431941806

There are 2 facebook pages, one has an older picture with her normal long hair, the one above has her short hair photo.

Ricky Sprague said...

Anonymous:

Thanks for the head's up re: Ms. Gorder's facebook picture. I have updated my story to include my new findings.

Anonymous said...

the b&w pic must be a little older even though published late last year. gen's a gorgeous woman in person, quite tall too (easily 5' 10") and her hair is certainly hers... i know it's really easy to hate on the net, but this is just my personal observations - from our time in person while filming battle on the block

http://twitter.com/grantandnaomi

Ricky Sprague said...

grantandnaomi: Thanks for taking the time to set us all straight re: Ms. Gorder's hair.

I was excited to get a response from you two, of all contestants on the show, because the "grant" half of you seemed to put my plan of taking the $15 K and then basically not doing anything into action for the first two days of the competition.

I find that kind of admirable, although it did look pretty bad the way the "naomi" half of you had to keep doing the flooring while the "grant" half sent text messages and talked to the landlord.

But then maybe it was just edited to make you look worse. Like Ms. Gorder's hair.

Anonymous said...

wow, I got here by googling "Genevieve Gorder" and hair also....I was thinking those might be hair extensions. How could HGTV do this? Damn them! The show is painfully stupid enough as it is, without uglifying Genevieve....just like Food Network's steady decline...HGTV is on its way out...too bad so sad...

Anonymous said...

I disagree, as a former professional hair stylist I could tell she DEFINITELY has hair extensions ever before I saw this pic! You can't follow a single hair from the top of her head to the bottom of her hair. She has a big mop of hair on top, and then this ring of straight stringy hair that flows from the mid-level. They're pretty good, but I've seen better extensions. In my experience hair extensions on someone with a short bob haircut will never look 100% natural (Kate Gosselin extensions were probably one of the best I've seen, but she used a TON of real hair and it cost over $8,000, Genevieve, however, didn't use nearly as much hair)

Anonymous said...

I found this site by googling Genevieve's new haircut looks like a mullet. Poor thing, she really was beautiful before that awful hairstyle.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I guess we all have nothing better to do than Google "Genevieve Gorder's horrible hair"! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. She used to have a gorgeous mane! I hope that mullet grows out soon. It's like a bad 80's hair band style. LOL!!! :)

Emme said...

It's an unstoppable force - must find answers!
I thought it was just me wondering what the hell happened? It is diificult to tell if it is bad, stringy extensions or my first terrifying guess - that she wanted to "update" the Carole Brady 'do with long stringyness. Hgtv if you have done this - shame on you!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm glad I'm not alone. I felt kind of bad googling to find out what happened to her hair, but now I'm relieved that I'm not the only one in the boat. Her "modern lady mullet" is astonishing. Why oh why would someone do that? Her short hair was cute, but I guess it can be hard to grow out? If HGTV forced her to wear extensions, they should've bought her more of them! It looks stringy and there isn't enough on the sides. Can a hair stylist only work so much magic? I too thought about the chemo scenario and would've felt awful if that were the case, but after finding this blog I now know that I can feel free to make fun. Poor little lamb. A wig would've been a better option.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I'm trying not to laugh too loud so I don't wake my sleeping baby while I read these posts. I got here the same way everyone else did and totally agree! Did anyone catch her in those white skinny jeans on Design Star? SOOO not flattering!

Miss Melissa said...

haha. This was literally my Google search 'battle on the block why does genevieve have a mullet?' I cannot believe that anyone even started filming with her hair looking like that. It's almost like someone hated her and this was their revenge! Did she piss someone off? It's not even just kind of bad. IT'S HIDEOUS!

Anonymous said...

Get a life you people!! Leave the woman alone. I feel sure at one time or another you all have had bad hair, especially you women. First of all you started your blog talking about Genevieve's thong and showing pics of clevege, the fact that that was the draw for you watching her show is disturbing. So don't try and make yourself sound better by being upset about her hair. She is a talented beautiful woman. I wonder if you had a chance to have your own show if you would turn it down if you had a bald spot or a bowl cut. Hair styles are something that changes with the speed of wind. Just get over yourselves and find something important to blog about.

Anonymous said...

The hair is horrible, but the real issue is that she has NO design knowledge! Who lets her draw those distorted third grader combo floor plan/pretend perspectives? Just wasting paper and making her look foolish. It's obvious she can't visualize a design concept.
IAO, Professor Emeritus of Interior and Architectural Design

Anonymous said...

I googled 'Dear Genevieve hair' and found this stream. I am so comforted that I am not the only person wondering about her hair. I was pretty sure the mullet was due to hair extensions. I did not watch her other show but saw the ads. With her horrible extensions. I am convinced she still wears extensions a la Kim Kardashian but much more well done. Maybe her own hair got longer. I wish she wouldn't wear clothes that don't fit. I don't mind if she has gained weight, she did have a child, but tight clothes just make it obvious and her seem silly. I think after super pro Candace and color splash it is hard for her to seem original. Ok. Time to move on!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea so many people felt this way about her hair! I got here when I googled "Who is Genevieve's stylist?" I love her cute clothes! Anyone know the brands? I hadn't noticed her hair but will take more notice.

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad all of you noticed her wonky hair!! i saw that they had glued in bad extension to obviously short hair, it was like a weird hair helmet, it haunts me! but yeah anyway i googled "genevieve gorder short hair" and here i am loving that others were disturbed by her bad weave

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me???? You losers have nothing better to do all day than pick apart Genevieve? Get a LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are all idiots. Her hair was never short. It is in a side ponytail in the fb pic. She is a very talented and well educated designer. Get a life.
Best,
Close personal friend of GG

Jutia said...

I got on this site looking to see if anyone knew how Genevieve had lost weight b/c I think she looks amazing. Wow its sad to see how many people just hate.