Saturday, April 10, 2010

Who the Fck is Justin Bieber? Today, at Long Last, I Finally Find Out

I have seen this kid's name at wesmirch and gossip blogs, and he's been a trending topic on twitter a couple of times that I know of, but I do not know exactly who he is. Never bothered to try and find out. Which is why I have decided to click through yahoo's main page story about his dissatisfaction with his People magazine cover.

Here's what yahoo's story says:
Pop sensation Justin Bieber, who was in Washington, D.C. Monday for the White House Easter Egg Roll, showed some teen 'tude this week when his People magazine cover story hit the web. "Dear @peoplemag Covershoot...next time i laugh real crazy warn me u r still taking pics," the pop star tweeted. "still appreciate u but let's get on the same page. EXCLUSIVE story and pics in the new issue of @peoplemag. I look crazy as heck on the cover but if u cant laugh at yourself u aint havin fun."
He's a "pop sensation," which I assume means that he is a singer (I kind of thought he was an actor, maybe on a Disney TV show or something), and he has a twitter account.

This is the cover that Justin Bieber was so concerned about. Relax, kid-- you do look a little geeky and awkward, but it's not so bad, and, besides, at least you got your People cover. I'm still waiting on mine.

What's in the People magazine story, the one with the cover that so peeved him? Maybe I can find out more there.
It's been quite a few weeks for Justin Bieber: While most kids his age relaxed on spring break, the 16-year-old chatted with Jay Leno and David Letterman, visited American Idol, rocked the White House Easter Egg Roll and – oh yeah – landed at No. 1 with his album My World 2.0.
There it is. He is a singer with the number one "album" (seriously, are they still called "albums"? not "CDs"? How about "downloads"?) in America, and he has performed for the politicians who currently occupy the white house (for the "easter egg roll"? did that really happen?), and appeared on some popular and semi-popular television programs.

But so far I don't really know all that much. What will I learn from People's cover story?
The singer opens up about his rise from YouTube sensation to pop star and admits that having such a busy schedule hasn't been good for his dating life: "Right now, it's difficult 'cause I'm traveling so much," says the single singer.
I feel for him. He's 16 and still single. Maybe if he stopped traveling so much, he could finally settle down and find himself a good romantic partner.

But the real question is, Is this single 16 year old singing sensation regular?
"I still feel regular," he says. "You know, sometimes it's weird that I go places and I have thousands of people waiting for me, but I always think, 'I'm Justin' "
Being regular is solace for the single 16 year old.

But I still don't know much about him-- that article at People was basically just an advertisement for the full story which I assume can only be read in the printed magazine. I of course am not going to read that thing, unless it's in the doctor's office on my next visit (I need to have the doctor check me periodically to ensure I'm still "regular"), so I guess I'll head over to wikipedia.
Bieber was born in Stratford, Ontario, and was raised by his single mother, Pattie Mallette. He was 12 years old when he entered a local singing competition in Stratford, placing second. He taught himself how to play the piano, drums, guitar, and trumpet. In late 2007, Bieber and his mother began posting videos on YouTube so his family and friends who could not attend his performances could view them, posting his versions of songs by Usher, Chris Brown, Stevie Wonder, Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo and more.

Scooter Braun, a former marketing executive of So So Def, saw his videos, and flew Bieber to Atlanta, Georgia, where he met with R&B singer/songwriter Usher. A week later Bieber sang for Usher, who arranged an audition with Antonio L.A. Reid at Island Records, who in turn signed him to Island Records in October 2008. Justin Timberlake was reportedly in the running to sign Bieber, but he eventually signed with Usher. Bieber and his mother then moved to Atlanta, also the home of Usher and Braun, to base his career.
Okay, good for him. He got discovered on YouTube. I'm waiting for the same thing to happen to me. I have a number of amazing and wonderful pieces of animation up there that are just waiting for someone to discover:









Tell me, are mine any worse than his?



Actually, don't answer that.

He's okay I guess. Not my kind of music. He sounds like a very talented 16 year old, and he seems too young to be singing about crying and crying and crying about love. But let's be honest-- his video is no "Stumpy Claus."

1 comment:

shampoo said...

i found out who this guy was when teennick was the best channel i had... i'm not proud of that.

i didn't watch his video, but he's definitely no stumpy claus! (i did watch yours.. i can do that now!)