Monday, November 21, 2011

Home improvement terms from DIY Network and HGTV that sound kind of naughty

Someone famous wrote a book about how you become an expert at something after having spent 10,000 hours doing it. Well, I have watched about 10,000 hours of HGTV and DIY network, so I feel I am an expert on home improvement.

One thing that I've noticed, as I've become a home improvement expert, is that some of the terms that we home improvement experts use sound kind of -- well, "a bit rude," as the Prince Regent put it in the third Black Adder series (having watched at least 10,000 hours of British television, I'm also an expert on British history). Here then is my list of home improvement terms heard on HGTV and DIY network, that sound a bit rude:

Angle-nail

Backer rod

Backsplash

Bottom rail

Buttjoints

Butt hinge

Caulk

Cupping

Curb appeal

Double glazing

Double hung window

Drywall

Easement

Extrusion

Flashing

French door

Furring strips

Girder

Grout

Hardwood

Headboard

Head track

Horizontal slider

Jack studs

King studs

Lag screw

Load-bearing wall

Nail

Nipple

P-trap

Packing nut

Pilot hole

Plenum

Plumb bob

Plumber's putty

Pocket door

Post-and-beam

Rake

Retrofit

Riser

Set screw

Sheathing

Sill cock

Slats

Spackle

Stud finder

Triple glazing

Underlayment

Weep hole

Wet wall

Bonus: Poetry first, then sausage:

2 comments:

simon said...

I feel more people need to read this information very good! sensational news. I look forward to more;. Interesting read, thanks for helping keep me busy at work)
Aledo TX roofing contractor

HouseLogic said...

I must admit I laughed at the "horizontal slider". Nice post :D