Friday, December 16, 2011

The best Christmas movies ever? You're kidding, right?

Someone at Forbes called Mark Hughes (who writes "about films, especially superhero films, & Hollywood") has produced a list of the "Top Ten Best Christmas Movies of All Time," which based on that tautological headline might be hyperbolic, or possibly tongue in cheek; or maybe the author had nothing to do with the headline and the person who wrote the headline became enthusiastic and wanted to try and ensure that the readers understood that these were in fact the top ten best Christmas movies, and not merely the top ten Christmas movies, or the ten best Christmas movies.

Regular readers of this blog know how I feel about "top best" lists. If you're interested, you can read my post on the top best comic book-based movies here. I have neither the time nor inclination to do the same thing for Christmas movies, so instead I'll repost Mr. Hughes's list:

(10) A Christmas Carol (1951 version)
(9) Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version)
(8) Gremlins
(7) Elf
(6) The Bishop's Wife (1947 version)
(5) A Christmas Story
(4) 1941
(3) The Nightmare Before Christmas
(2) Brazil
(1) Die Hard

It's hard to argue with a list that calls itself the "top ten best," so I won't really, except to note that A Christmas Carol is a terrible story that has been made into several terrible films, I didn't once even crack a smile when I sat through Elf, The Bishop's Wife is dull, 1941 is about twenty minutes too long, and I never made it past the first fifteen minutes or so of The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Die Hard is a pretty decent choice for number one. And this list gets credit for not including It's a Wonderful Life, a seriously flawed movie that is almost completely redeemed by James Stewart's amazing performance.

I would add Remember the Night, with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck, directed by Preston Sturges. It is the top best film that any of those three people made.

Also missing from this list are the following Christmas classics, directed by the "celebrated" auteur Ricky Sprague (the first one might be a little not safe for work):








I'm currently working on yet another Christmas-themed film, which I hope to have posted by Monday, which will no doubt make it onto my own top best Christmas list, should I ever choose to actually make one.

No comments: