Monday, April 2, 2012

My Doughnut Wrapped Bacon Wrapped Brats

Over at the lovely Fickle Pants website, I have a new piece about the doughnut wrapped bacon wrapped brats I cooked yesterday. Spoiler alert: They were delicious!

Here is a small "taste":
Here at the Fickle Pants Test Kitchen, we are constantly striving for new frontiers in cookery. Unfortunately, we lack traditional culinary skill; but we more than make up for that with a surfeit of enthusiasm and irrationality. We believe in a holistic approach to cooking. We're not entirely sure of what that means, but one night last week I had a dream in which I was waiting in line at an Ikea snack bar, where I hoped to purchase a doughnut wrapped bacon wrapped brat. When the clerk told me that it cost $10, I became indignant and walked out of the store, without even purchasing the Whätchømacällit cabinet I'd come for. I decided then and there that my dream was trying to tell me something.

I must make a doughnut wrapped bacon wrapped brat. That' s just what I did, and now that Ikea snack bar clerk from my dream can go stuff it. Anyway, here is my recipe, so that you can show those Ikea jerks from my dream, too.

First, you have to make the doughnut dough. Not having ever made doughnuts before, I had no idea what I was in for. It's an all-day process! You have to mix all the ingredients, then wait for the dough to rise. Then you have to lay out the dough on a flat surface, and let it rise again. I don't know about you, but standing around and waiting for dough to rise isn't my idea of a good time cooking, so I just left the dough alone and did other things. I watched a little TV, went for a run, ran a few errands. But you can do whatever you want. That's not part of the recipe.


You can read the whole thing here, if you're at all interested in creating something delicious.

No comments: