Friday, July 6, 2012

The god particle thing: Maybe I was being too subtle.

A few days ago, I saw an AP article linked on yahoo's main page that said "proof of 'god particle found." The so-called "god particle" is a profoundly subliterate name given by some journalists to something called the Higgs boson. In the 10th - 12th paragraphs of AP's superficial story, we learn the following:
Though an impenetrable concept to many, the Higgs boson has until now been just that — a concept intended to explain a riddle: How were the subatomic particles, such as electrons, protons and neutrons, themselves formed? What gives them their mass? 
The answer came in a theory first proposed by physicist Peter Higgs and others in the 1960s. It envisioned an energy field where particles interact with a key particle, the Higgs boson. 
The idea is that other particles attract Higgs bosons and the more they attract, the bigger their mass will be. Some liken the effect to a ubiquitous Higgs snowfield that affects other particles traveling through it depending on whether they are wearing, metaphorically speaking, skis, snowshoes or just shoes.
Being an atheist, with an interest in science, I was amused that the Higgs boson would be called "the god particle," which is a silly, unscientific name for a complex concept being given a simplistic explanation. Obviously this "god particle" is not in any way proof of the existence of a "god." It's just a name given to a concept that some people didn't fully understand. I don't fully understand the internet, and occasionally, I say that it's "magical." That does not mean that the internet is "magic." It just means that I am too dense to fully understand how it works. Well, this whole "god particle" nonsense is the same thing. So I tweeted something that I thought was pretty funny, and obviously ironic, or at least sarcastic.


Unbeknownst to me, that tweet has been retweeted 35 times, and favorited 3 times. I don't know if it was atheists or believers who did the favoriting or retweeting, and I don't really care.

It's nice to be retweeted and favorited. To those of you who retweeted and favorited, I thank you.

It also got one reply, from someone called Anthony Hecht:


Okay, thanks for the information, but this is simply a straightforward restatement of my original post, the intent of which was lost on Mr. Hecht, et. al. I'm not sure how, since I wrote "suck on THAT," which to me sounds obviously sarcastic (especially in relation to a "god particle" being used as proof against atheists), but, again, maybe I was being too subtle.

My tweet was also picked up as part of a screenshot that gathered together several god particle tweets:


This screenshot, which a friend forwarded to me from the facebook page of Proud to be a Filthy Liberal Scum, has been shared on Facebook over 200 times. I do like the idea that my face is being seen by all those people (I like to think that it made them feel a little better about themselves), I can't help but notice that many of them have, again, MISSED THE SUBTLETY OF MY APPARENTLY INCREDIBLY SUBTLE WIT when it comes to tweeting.

In his/her comment on the screenshot, Proud to be a Filthy Liberal Scum writes,


And I checked to see if maybe this was photoshopped. It wasn't. I can't. I just can't.

You see? Words fail him or her, because the tweets are just so stupid, because these people obviously believe that this "god particle" is in fact a particle of god, or something, and that scientists have now discovered proof of god's existence, and these people are obviously all stoopid, and s/he is just so despairing for the world. And by the way, s/he checked to see if it was photoshopped, but didn't see fit to check for irony. Ha, ha.

A sampling of some of the other comments:
I am at a complete loss of words over the SHEER STUPIDITY of these MORONS!!!! SAD, SAD, SAD!!!! 
This makes me kinda mad. And sad lol. 
I would be Christian if it wasn't for all those Christians 
I know it's wrong of me, but can we safely assume that all of those retards are American, and Republican, and still think they live in a capitalist system? Go on, tell me it's true - we all know the stereotype is real! lol 
And it's such a Godlike attitude they are displaying, eh? ::shakes head in disgust:: This is why Christianity is bashed, because of people like these folks (if they are real!) 
I can't even make the effort to facepalm due to the aneurysm this caused... 
These are examples of the way the GOP wants all people to "think." by not using their brain.
I stopped with that last one because I like the irony of it. The guy who's making fun of people for not using their brain, missed the irony of my INCREDIBLY WITTY TWEET!!!

Ha, ha!

But isn't it amusing that the people commenting on the "stupidity" of the "MORONS" who made these tweets are engaged in childish, intemperate namecalling? Isn't that a great way to get people thinking critically and explaining to them when they've made what you perceive to be a mistake? Hey, stupid American retard MORON, you're STUPID lol!







I would like to thank all the people who made those comments, though. You've certainly made me feel better about myself and my own attitude. I mean, I am at a complete loss of words to respond to those comments. I can barely muster the energy to facepalm, I'm so weary about the stupidity of Americans who "think" without using their brains.

PREVIOUSLY, I felt some internet and twitter wrath over my post about the tv psychic pscumbag Theresa Caputo.

No comments: